Safeguarding during COVID-19 lockdown

In these times of lockdown we must bear in mind the potential impact on the vulnerable in our society. Statistics suggest that there are increased risks of close social contact on the one hand and living alone on the other. Please keep a closer eye out for people in vulnerable groups during these extraordinary times. There is a list of organisations b Please use the following organisations below to report concerns to - or contact the diocesan safeguarding team to discuss by emailing and asking for call-back.

Domestic Abuse

We know from research and statistics that at times of close social proximity instances of domestic abuse increase. Domestic abuse can range from violence towards a person, to denial of money or property (such as a phone), to emotional and psychological abuse such as being shouted at or constantly put down. Just as at Christmas and New Year cases increase, when people are at home and unable to escape the risks they face, it is likely to be the same during this lockdown period. Should you have any concerns about a person you know or are yourself worried or experiencing difficulty, please either email Neil Spiring or contact one of the following organisations. If you are at immediate risk you should call the Police immediately using 999,

The Pathway Project: 01543 676800 
Womens Aid: 0808 2000247
Safeguarding Team: Request a call back -
In an emergency Dial 999



Child Abuse

Statistically we know that most abuse of children occures in the family home. We also know that as with domestic violence, increased instances occure over periods such as Christmas and New Year when children are subject to prolonged periods of close association with their abusers. Child abuse can take many forms; violence and sexual asault of course, but also emotional and psychological abuse (caused by cruelty) or by acts of neglect and omision, for example a lack of food or other essential needs. If you have a concern please report it to the organisations below or contact the diocese to discuss it. There is no such thing as over-reacting to such concerns.  

NSPCC: 0808 800 5000
Your Local Authority: (dependant on location)
Safeguarding Team: Request a call back -
In an emergency: Dial 999



Older people and those with long-term illness

Many people in our society live alone or with persistent long-term illnesses that require the support of others. There is currently extended demand on services that care for people who are vulnerable in this way, both in terms of professional care and among informal carers that undertake such a major role with this group in our communities. Such people are also getting ill, and may themselves need to self isolate, leaving those they care for more vulnerable than ever before. If you are aware of a person who usually gets support from the local authority that is not getting the care they usually receive and is not coping, please call your local authority. If you know of older people or those with long-term health conditions living alone, please make an effort in these times to contact them regulary, the risks to life for those who live alone in particular are significantly elevated at this time. If you are concerned and want to talk a concern through please contact:

Hourglass: 0808 8088141
Your Local Authority: (dependant on location)
Safeguarding Team: Request a call back -
In an emergency: Dial 999




Not being able to get hold of a distant relative can be particularly worrying - we host contact lists for councils in other parts of the UK here

Broken Rites

It may be that your concerns about abuse relate to the church or people involved in the church, and you do not feel comfortable discussing such concerns directly with the church safeguarding team. Broken Rites is an organisation that works with clergy spouses who’s are experiencing abusive relationships or marital breakdown. They can assist with advice, signposting and practical support for those experiencing difficult circumstances as a consequence of their relationships. Broken Rites request that contact is made via internet for on their website.

Safeguarding distant relatives

Contacts for urgent concern in other parts of the UK

Powered by Church Edit